Thursday, April 24, 2014

Monitoring Appt #4

Yesterday I had my last Monitoring appointment before my scheduled transfer. They only drew blood to check my progesterone levels. I also spoke with the nurse who gave me my prenatal pills. These are different than others that I have seen and taken. They are actually 2 pills a day. One is a tablet that has 16 different vitamins and minerals-quite typical. The other is a soft gel. This one has DHA in it, for the potential baby. I find this quite interesting. The newer types of formula (at least new to me since my youngest is 9 yrs old lol), they have DHA in it. Its supposed to support brain development and neurological function in babies. I cant help wonder if it promotes these babies to be smarter....?

Anyways, so Ive received my new treatment plan which now includes these prenatal pills. Unfortunately it also incudes the dreaded PIO...that is Progesterone In Oil. This is an injection to be done daily, in the rump. Ouch. So, my new meds are as follows:
Estrace-pill-2mg-2x a day
Prenatal-2pills-2x a day
DISCONTINUE Progesterone pill
Crinone-Vaginal Suppositories-3x a day
PIO-Injection-1x a day

SIDE EFFECTS SO FAR: Bloating.  Im not sure which medicine is causing it. Im thinking the progesterone (whether the pills or the veg. supp. Im not sure) because I was taking the Estrace alone for about a week before the other meds were added and I was fine.

PIO is no fun at all, but I have figured out lil tips from other Surro-Mamas that have worked best for me. First, keep record of each injection including what side you used. Alternating sides help to give your body a slight rest before getting poked again. I like to ice the desired location, and in the meantime, I warm the vial of meds in my bra. After at least 10 minutes, my rump area is numb from the ice and the progesterone is warmed up. Since its PIO-Progesterone in oil-warmer oil equals thinner oil equals flows faster from the syringe into your body. After the injection, I use a heating pad on my skin and gently massage the area to better help the medicine disperse throughout my body. After a few weeks of daily PIO injections, lump start to form beneath the skin. The area becomes numb and the skin becomes thick, making it harder for the needle to penetrate. My lil process helps me to prolong that from happening.

I think Ill do a directions to administer PIO while Im on bedrest, next week.


Cant WAIT for tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment